Another 330.102 MWp of new solar capacity were added in December 2012, making 2012 the third record year for solar additions with a total of 7,604 MWp, the grid regulator, the Federal Network Agency (BNetzA) informed. The solar growth triggers a feed-in tariff reduction of 2.2% for each month in the period of 1 February to 30 April 2013, the agency notified.
The BNetzA continuously monitors the installation of new photovoltaic systems to set the feed-in tariffs within the framework provided by the Renewable Energy Sources Act (Erneuerbare-Energien-Gesetz, “EEG”). According to sec. 20a EEG the political corridor for additional installation of photovoltaic energy was set between 2,500 and 3,500 MWp per calendar year. Exceeding these limits, feed-in tariffs for new installations are not only subject to the standard decrease of 1% per month (cf. sec. 20b para. 1 EEG) but to an additional decrease of 0.4 to 1.8%, depending on the extent of such exceedance (sec. 20b para. 2 EEG).
Based on the information published by BNetzA, the December 2012 capacity additions lead to the following table of German PV capacity eligible for financial support pursuant to the EEG.
|End of 2008||6,120,000|
|End of 2009||9,921,572|
|End of 2010||17,299,250|
|End of 2011||24,784,484|
Although the overall capacity additions in 2012 lead to another record of 7,604 MWp after roughly 7,500 MWp in 2011 and about 7,400 MWp in 2010, the end of the year shows a steady decline in the last three months. The interesting question will be if this indicates a turnaround.
The latest figures lead to the following solar feed-in tariff table (based on BNetzA information):
|Solar Feed-in Tariffs until April 2013|
|§ 32 Abs. 2 EEG (Roofs)||§ 32 Abs. 1 EEG|
|up to 10 KWp||up to 40 kWp||up to 1 MWp||up to 10 MWp||up to 10 MWp|
|Start of Operations|
|Degression for next quarter:||2.2%|
- 435 MWp of New Solar Capacity in November 2012 – More Than 32 GWp Total
- Almost 612 MWp of New Solar Capacity in October 2012
- BNetzA Announces 2.5% Degression of Solar Feed-in Tariffs for November to January
- German feed-in tariffs 2012
- Reduced German solar feed-in tariffs
- EEG Clearing Agency Advises on Grandfathering Clause for Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Tariffs Promulgated
- Bundesrat Clears Reduced German Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- 2.3 GWp of Newly Installed German PV Capacity by End of April 2012
- Bundestag Approved Mediation Committee Compromises for Solar FIT Reduction and CCS Bill
- Mediation Committee Compromise for Solar Feed-in Tariff Reduction
- Solar Feed-in Tariffs Cuts For 1 July 2012 If No New Agreement Will be Reached
- Still No Agreement in Mediation Committee with Respect to Solar Feed-In Cuts, Energy-Efficient Renovation and CCS
- Federal Council Stops Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts and Invokes Mediation Committee
- Parliament Approves EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- Bundestag and Bundesrat to Vote on Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts 29/30 March – Latest Changes
- Bundestag Debates Implementation of Energiewende – Solar Feed-in Tariff Cut Timetable
- First Parliamentary Readings of EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Feed-in Tariffs and Amendment of KWKG
- Federal Cabinet Approves Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts